The UK!
When I told my amicas where we were going, some said, "no, we are going to England" and others said, "no, we are going to London"....as they noticed the flag on the table was different from the day before (this was their hint every morning as to where we would be traveling to). I told them they were ALL right!
We started off with fun facts about the United Kingdom-- there are three countries that make up the UK--England, Scotland, Wales...Ireland used to be included but most of it is independent now; the capital of ALL the UK is London AND London is also the capital of England; all the other countries also have their own capitals too; England is the largest country of the UK and is about the size of Alabama; the Thames River is the longest river in England and the second longest in the UK; and all of UK is ruled by the Royal Family.
We had fun talking about the Royal Family and how the Queen just celebrated her Diamond Jubilee to mark 60 years on the throne! Can you believe that if she still holds the throne in another 10 years, there will be the Platinum Jubilee and she will be 96 years old, celebrating 70 years as Queen? Do you think she will be able to have this celebration?
Of course we could not talk about London and no mention that the Summer Olympics will be held there in one week! I hope all my amicas watch and look to see if they see any familiar sights! Did you know this is the third time that London has been the host? And we also read the Olympic Creed which is important for everyone to read and really listen to the the words:
"The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win, but to take part, just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph, but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered, but to have fought well"
The first craft of the day was making not only the flag of the United Kingdom, popularly known as Union Jack, but also the flag of England. While they were busy making the flags, they snacked on cinnamon crumpets and jam (some plain) and scones (chocolate chip and/or cinnamon). The girls loved the scones the best! Amy and I also played music by popular artist from the UK. The girls loved hearing Adele and One Direction and we introduced them to the Beatles, Led Zeppelin and Depeche Mode!
While our flags were drying we looked at pictures of London and some of the Queen's famous crowns. I heard lots of comments on how they would love to go to London one day...hint hint!
Before they had a little break, they answered their question of the day in their journals.
The Queen can't be the only one with a beautiful crown, so we made our own!
Today for lunch we enjoyed "tea" sized sandwiches and one was a cucumber and cream cheese sandwich. I have a pickier crowd and knew that "fish and chips" was not going to go over well! When they asked what we were having for lunch I did say fish and chips and their faces were priceless! I did have some "fish sticks" for them to try...but no one was a taker!
I can't believe that session one is done! We had a lot of fun and it was so nice to have new faces and for everyone to make a new AMICA!
I have a four day break and then Session Two starts!!!!
Thank you to all my AMICAS for making "Around the World in Three Days" memorable!
Cheers!






No comments:
Post a Comment