My amicas are getting a taste of all kinds of music. I'm sure they are ready for me to stop introducing them to songs from back in the day!
This morning they started by answering their question of the day in their journals. Then we went right into our music activity.
I had them number their paper 1-9 and then had them list all the genres we were studying this week. Oh and by the way, as a side note....I have looked at TONS of websites and ALL of them say different people as far as who was the "best of all time"....so I decided to go with the majority! I also wanted to give my amicas a taste of some others who you would think would be in the top...so I did with our activity!
For each genre I played a song and they had to write down what they felt...what did they feel like when listening to the song I was playing. They listened to great artist such as Michael Jackson (Pop), Van Morrison (Rock), Marvin Gaye (R&B), Dolly Parton (Country), Jackie Evancho (Classical), BB King (Blues), Glenn Miller Band (Jazz), Peter Tosh (Reggae) and Mary Poppins for the Soundtrack choice. I loved reading all the respones in their journals...sleepy, scared, groovy, want to dance, peaceful, bored, jazzy, sad, like a ballerina, old fashioned, moody, freaky, reminds me of the beach, crazy, puke, makes me wanna raise the roof, makes me want to slow dance, makes me feel like clapping, hawaiian and relaxed.
After this activity the girls split into their groups were they discovered the musical artists in Classical, Country and the Blues. Here were the outcomes for each group:
Classical...Beethoven was their favorite! And the musical artist they introduced was Mozart's sister, Maria Ann. She actually was BETTER than Mozart and taught him! Due to the times, she was not allowed to perform!
Country....Johnny Cash was their favorite! And the musical artist they introduced to the group was George Strait.
Blues....This group was split...three ways! One liked BB King, one liked Billie Holliday and one liked Ray Charles! The musical artist they introduced was Fenton Robinson.
Then they painted their necklaces from the day before! Tomorrow they will get to finally take them home!
Right before some free time we did a really fun activity....thanks to another Rett Mom who happens to be a music teacher!!!!
We watched the Chevy commercial with "We are Young" by Fun playing for the car Sonic. But the first time we watched it the volume was muted! Then the girls had to think about a song THEY thought would work. We listened to each song while we watched the commercial (still muted). Then voted!
Group One picked So What by Pink. Group Two was split....some thought Falling Down by Selena Gomez and the others thought Unstoppable by China Anne McClain. And Group Three was also split by We Can't Stop by Miley Cyrus and Hot-n-Cold by Katy Perry.
The results among the group were Pink and China Anne McClain.
I even picked a song after the results but BEFORE we listened to the real song...my pick was Nobody Rides for Free by Ratt from the movie Point Break.
This really was a super fun activity and I loved hearing the girls when they FINALLY heard the real song!!!
My amicas needed some "free time" today before lunch! They were wild!
Tomorrow is not only our last day together, but our last day of camp for this summer! I can't believe it!!! We will be busy rockstars again tomorrow....have two more crafts to complete too! I think with the right music we will be moving right along!
Arrivederci!!!
Group 3!
Group 1!
Group 2!
All my amicas!!
No comments:
Post a Comment