It was so good to see all my amicas! This is the THIRD year they have been coming to Camp Amica and it is wonderful to see them grow and to see their friendships blossom. This was the first year, they all walked in and pick up right where they left off with each other!
Of my nine campers I have two first graders, three third graders, one fourth grader, three fifth graders and two helpers (one is a seventh grader and one is an eighth grader). I have three sets of sisters too!
We started our morning off by sharing what fun things we have done this summer so far. Visiting grandparents, traveling, going to the beach and being in a beauty pageant where among the answers....these girls have been busy!
After we got our giggles out I shared with them our theme for the week....'Christmas in July'.
I asked them what is the first thing you think of when you hear the word Christmas. Presents, celebrate Jesus, Jesus was born, Christmas tree, fun, cookies, stockings, and decorations were among the responses. I explained that this week we will be focusing on GIVING, rather than RECEIVING.
We started off by watching the movie Yes, Virginia which is based on a true story. If you are not familiar with this movie or the story, click this link Yes, Virginia. This is one of our family holiday favorites and has an amazing message.
The girls loved it and were so engaged in our discussion of Virginia. We talked about empathy and what empathy meant. Empathy is not to just feel sorry for someone; its moving beyond sadness or pity and aspiring to change it. Being able to truly step into another person's shoes. We also talked about the acts of kindness. How the simplest things often mean the most and can be life changing.
Virginia's character in the movie was very moving. She helped others like her to continue to believe when a bully wanted them to think otherwise. She helped a homeless man after he gave his coat to a woman with a baby....in the freezing cold.
We brainstormed on ways we....we as amicas....could show random acts of kindness. The girls came up with a list of eight ways and we voted to come up with the top three. I am so blessed to have an amazing group of amicas!
I can't share with you right now what we are going to do....every day....as I want you to be surprised this week. Just know....we will be spreading kindness and good cheer all week!
Of course I had some Christmas crafts planned for us. The girls know they can make the crafts for themselves or to give to someone. Today's craft was making luminaries. We took mason jars, placed star stickers on them, spray painted them red and then this afternoon I took the stickers off to save time for tomorrow. Today went by so fast and we have SO much planned for three days!
The other activity my amicas worked on was making notes of cheer....words of warmth...pick me up notes....something to make someone else smile! Tomorrow we will have our FIRST Camp Amica field trip.....can't wait!
We also briefly wrote encouraging words to our fellow amicas in our journals, but due to time didn't get to do our question of the day or story of the day! Hopefully tomorrow we can make up time!
It was a great first day and I can't wait for tomorrow!
Arrivederci!
Luminaries before....
Amy and Anna Cate's motto to give to others....NEVER GIVE UP
Journal time!
Luminaries....finished!
47 notes of good cheer!!!
Love reading about Camp Amica! What a great first day!!!
ReplyDelete